27 November 2015

Notes from Yoillo Talks - Merchandising & Licensing

Wednesday night I popped on a train over to London to catch the Yoillo Talk on Merchandising and Licensing. It's so good to get out of my little office/studio and meet other illustrator, plus I don't feel guilty as I'm learning so much at the same time.

Ben and Fi O'Brien spoke about their brand B Goods, I was aware of their work and their product but it was so good to hear the story behind it all. They really are passionate about what they do and it's quite infectious. I like the idea that every design has its own story, and their creativity when approaching things like product shots. They used Air bnb to find their perfect photo shoot location saving themselves a lot of money.

Next up was Sarah Lawrence who works as a licensing manager for This Is Iris. She talked about what a creative licensing agent does, what she looks for and what makes work suitable for licensing. I didn't know anything about this side to illustration so it gave me lots to think about. I'm fairly tempted to go to a trade fair and have a nose around.

Finally, we listened to Ygraine Cadlocka commissioning editor at Simon & Schuster. She spoke about how publishers license work, often characters from films or tv but also heritage brand such as Miffy. And you know I love a good picture book, well Ygraine covered that off too. Kate Hindley, Becky Baur and David Tazzyman were mentioned, plus I spotted Benji Davies on the slides too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...